TestProject Forum

Troubleshooting DevToolsActivePort file doesn't exist

I’m a new TestProject user, and I’m trying to follow the Steps given in the TestProject video:
Create your First AI-powered Codeless Web Test: Working with Locators, Parameters & Validations
at Create your First AI-powered Codeless Web Test: Working with Locators, Parameters & Validations - YouTube

But I get an error:

Chrome failed to start because DevToolsActivePort file doesn’t exists.
Additional information is available here:
Troubleshooting DevToolsActivePort file doesn't exists - TestProject Documentation (Last modified 10mo ago)

When I followed that link, I was told that “This can happen in several scenarios:”

1. Chrome version mismatch
    TestProjects support Chrome versions 77 and newer, make sure the Chrome version installed on your machine (including other users) is suitable.

#I don’t think that’s the problem, since I’ve Installed: Chrome 96.0.4664.45

#2. Running Agent as administrator

I don’t think that’s the problem, since I’m running Agent as a regular user

#3. Missing debug configuration for Windows
If the above options didn’t solve the issue go to C:\Users<username>\AppData\Roaming\TestProject\Agent and add a file called debug-configuration.json with the content
{ “tp.config.chrome.no.sandbox” : “true” }

I don’t think that’s the problem, since I added that file, with no observable result.

#4. Antivirus is blocking the recorder and tests

I don’t think that’s the problem, because turning my Antivirus OFF didn’t make a difference.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions?

I do have multiple Chrome profiles on this PC. Could that somehow be a problem?

Thanks.

• Russell J.

I figured out what the problem was. Somehow, I’d gotten Chrome installed twice on my PC: 1 time for all users (in C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe), and a 2nd time for just me (in C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe). Apparently, that was confusing things. I uninstalled both instances of Chrome, and just reinstalled it for all users, and that fixed my problem.