TestProject Forum
Powered by leading experts in the test automation community

TestProject and TinyMCE

Hello,

I have been trying to interact with a TinyMCE within a web application in order to type some text in using the TestProject ui recorder. However I still have not been able to do so.

I have been trying to use Switch to iFrame, however it fails to do so; I recorded the element but when the step is executed the element cannot be found.

I was thinking of maybe executing a javascript code but not sure if this will help.

I would appreciate your help on how to interact with the TinyMCE app and be able to type some text in it.

Many thanks!

1 Like

Hello @luis.stolk.

Are you using the legacy recorder? In case you are, please switch to the current recorder.

If the element is located when recording and not during execution it may be a case of some randomly generated locator.
Please verify this by recording the action, closing and re-opening the recorder, and attempting to run the action again.

If that is the case, you can try to generalize the XPATH if the self-healing does not help in your application’s case.

Is your execution done on other browsers besides Chrome? Sometimes, the DOM of the application changes between browsers and the locators do not work, if a specific step fails, you can get the DOM from the report and verify this as well.

Hello @david.goichman,

Thanks for your response.

I am not using the legacy recorder, I ma using the latest recorder version. Recording the steps by clicking inside the textbox area and typing in some text in the TinyMCE will not record the steps.

The application I am testing is an iFrame. Recording the steps in the application is fine; however, the application contains a TinyMCE which the textbox area is also contained in another iFrame element.

Everything in the application (outside this second iFrame) is intractable and steps can be recorded and executed, but the issue arise when trying to interact inside the TinyMCE textbox area.

Hello @luis.stolk.

To interact with the TinyMCE, you can do the following:

1. If it is empty, write something in it for a paragraph tag to appear (if not just select an existing element):

2. Save the element and create a step:

1. Change the locator value to XPATH and to //body and make sure the context of the element is correct in the advanced options (should be done automatically but you can verify yourself to make sure):

1. Run the step.

The example was made on this app:

@david.goichman
Sorry I did not responded before.

Many thanks for your help and support.

Even though this seemed to be a great solution, I was able to simplify my test case(s) on a different route.

I will still keep this option opened for any possible solution in the future.

Thanks again and have a great day!