Please explain why this happens sometimes "org.openqa.selenium.json.JsonException: Unable to determine type from: E. Last 1 characters read"

Hi All,

Once in a while, anyone or some of my test cases will fail and when I check the reason for the failure this is what I get in the reports.

I had contacted the TP team long back but had not received any satisfactory answer. Faced this today so thought better to post it rather than be clueless about it.

So can anyone explain when and why this happens and any way to stop encountering this.

org.openqa.selenium.json.JsonException: Unable to determine type from: E. Last 1 characters read: E
Build info: version: ‘3.141.59’, revision: ‘e82be7d358’, time: ‘2018-11-14T08:17:03’
System info: host: ‘cef210e4fbda43aca12857b5d3a3fe3a-1340600742’, ip: ‘’, ‘Linux’, os.arch: ‘amd64’, os.version: ‘4.14.252-195.483.amzn2.x86_64’, java.version: ‘13-ea’
Driver info: driver.version: WebDriver
Could not take screenshot because an alert is visible on the page


Hi @navnish.chaudhury ,

On what action does it fail?
Can you please share some details on the test?

Hi Alex,

This happens anytime for not as such any definite kind of step. So basically might happen for any step at any point of time.

This time it happened for a step from where I select an item based on a text from a list of items.

Step is - Clicks on a list item based on text

Some other time it just happens right while trying to login.

Let me know if something else is required. Else if you don’t mind then we can connect quickly over a call so that you can go through this quickly for your understanding and help in resolving quickly.

Hi @navnish.chaudhury ,

Of course, I sent you a message in the support chat regarding the call.

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.