TestProject Forum
Powered by leading experts in the test automation community

Help with SauceLabs Integration and App not starting

I am connecting to my SauceLabs account and in TestProject I am able to see all of the available emulator options (I am using a trial account first). I choose an option and launch it.

After 2.5 - 3 minutes, both TestProject and SauceLabs reports the test failed. TestProject reports there was an unknown error while SauceLabs says the app never started.

I have tried looking into this issue and cannot find anything relevant. I am not writing my own scripts and when I tested on my own device the app launches correctly and operates normally. This app is also currently in production and is obviously working.

I have tried looking at documentation for both sites and I have uploaded the APK to TestProject and when that failed to resolve the issue, I tried uploading it to SauceLabs as well.

I watched the test run on SauceLabs and I saw the app open. The test is very simple, it should only close the app. When the app is launched there is a permission modal present, would that possibly affect being able to properly close the app…?

Thank you in advance and sorry if this is a common topic. I search the forums and the available support on both sites, maybe I am just using the wrong search terms.

Hi @caleb,

Thanks for reaching out!
First, to get a better understanding on that issue, you can check out the Appium logs in Sauce Labs. This is where you can find them:

Also, can you please tell me on which platform are you trying to execute your test? Is it Android or iOS?
Android tests that are running on emulators in Sauce Labs, should be compatible with x86 architecture, while iOS simulators on Sauce Labs, requires the ipa file to be compiled for simulators (there is an option for that in XCode).

I’ll be happy to check your logs if you would like that :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Amit

Good Morning Amit,

The image in your post is not displaying unfortunately but I did find the logs however (I think). I am attempting to run our production app on Android and I get the same error no matter what emulator option I pick (Samsung S8, S8+, S7, any other emulator option, not just Samsung).

The log is:

[
  {
"screenshot": 0,
"between_commands": null,
"start_time": 1580851703.941798,
"suggestion_values": [],
"request": {
  "desiredCapabilities": {
    "deviceName": "Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus GoogleAPI Emulator",
    "automationName": "UiAutomator2",
    "noSign": true,
    "proxy": {
      "proxyAutoconfigUrl": "http://127.0.0.1:19876/pac.js",
      "proxyType": "PAC"
    },
    "platformVersion": "8.1",
    "platformName": "Android",
    "appWaitActivity": "*"
  }
},
"HTTPStatus": 500,
"result": {
  "message": "An unknown server-side error occurred while processing the command. Original error: Cannot start the 'net.ersp.mobileConnect' application. Visit https://github.com/appium/appium/blob/master/docs/en/writing-running-appium/android/activity-startup.md for troubleshooting. Original error: '*' or 'net.ersp.mobileConnect.*' never started. Visit https://github.com/appium/appium/blob/master/docs/en/writing-running-appium/android/activity-startup.md for troubleshooting"
},
"suggestion": null,
"duration": 49.0358350276947,
"path": "/session",
"in_video_timeline": 16.941797971725464,
"method": "POST",
"statusCode": 13
  }
]

Can you explain more what you mean by the app has to be compatible with x86 architecture? Is this a build option typically? I apologize, I am not the developer of the app.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it!

Edit
I forgot to mention that I am using a trial account, I am not sure if that has any limitations (it did not seem like it since we get like 100 free automation hours or something). I wanted to do a proof of concept of running our tests on devices in the cloud before we go full speed ahead.

Hi @caleb,

Do you have a video recording of the execution on Sauce Labs?
Do you see the app launches on the emulator?

I will run the test again and grab a screenshot of the device’s screen. None of the tests appear to have a video, I assume because the app did not launch. I went into one test yesterday while it was running and I saw the splash screen of our app load then it went back to the device home screen and the error was in the logs like the previous runs. I’ll post the screenshot in just a minute.

Going into the test I can see our splash screen loads and then our app is open, and we have a permissions modal.

Eventually the app closes, the modal still shows on the device screen:

![2020-02-05 10_29_55-Sauce Labs _ Test Details_|567x499]

and then the test fails with the log from above. I can only post one image at a time so…here’s an imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/SOXEdYs

Hi @caleb,

We looked into this issue now and we think it’s related to the permission pop-ups.
We are trying to find a solution for that and we’ll keep you updated :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Amit

Hi @amit.yahav,

That sounds awesome, thank you so much!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Hi @caleb,

When you run your test in TestProject, it’s working fine?

I will give it a whirl right now.

@amit.yahav,

It looks like it might be stuck in a loop. I am watching the test and the splash screen shows, then the modal, then the app closes with the modal still showing like before, however, twice now I have gotten a 404 page.

After the first time, I went back to the test and watched it repeat like it started from scratch, and then I got the 404 a second time.

Do you have a physical device or emulator on your machine that you can try with? I want to check if it works differntly in TestProject.

Hi @amit.yahav, I do have a physical device, yes. I have hooked up my personal phone to my computer and ran the test I created on it and it works fine. It appears to be an emulator issue possibly.

@amit.yahav, please let me know if you think of anything else I can try or try to dig up for you regarding additional information.

Thank you.

Hi @caleb,

I tried to email you with a possible solution, but my email was blocked. Can you please give me an email address where I can send it to you?

Kind regards,
Amit

Good Afternoon,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not sure why your email was blocked. I can give you an alternate email but would rather not have it displayed publicly.

Can I message it to you somehow?

Hi @caleb,

I’ve sent you a private message. Please check your inbox :slight_smile: