Getting "Index 0 out of bounds for length 0" Error Using Recording

I had a test that was working up to the 3.3.1 update, but after the next update, it started failing with “Index 0 out of bounds for length 0” for a step where I was getting the text from a Heading element. I can still find this element using the locator tool on the recorder, but actually running the Get Text step results in failure. The only slightly unique aspect of this element is that it is a part of a tooltip that only appears when the mouse hovers over a certain element of the site.

Is there any workaround so I can start testing this again? Is this a known bug that is getting fixed?

Hi @jbauer,
Try to add a step with the ‘Move mouse to element’ action before your step.

I already had that step in the test. If I do not include that step first, then I get an “index out of bounds” and an “element not found” error.

@jbauer
Please make sure that the element locators have not changed.

Both elements are valid elements on the site. The locator can find both. The issue only occurs when an attempt is made to run the steps the element is a part of.

Are you able to share the website?

Okay, it looks like replacing the “Get Text” step I was using with “Get Attribute Value {text}” step from the Web Extensions addon ended up fixing the issue. Still not sure why the Index error was appearing unfortunately.