Can we overwrite the Project Parameter?

Hi Team,

Is there any possibility to overwrite the Project Parameter with Test Parameters?

My Requirement:
I have Pre-prod env set as URL in Project Parameter. Now for my testing/for new testscript I want to use test env as URL can I overwrite that Project Parameter with Test Parameter while running the Test Script?

Regards,
Ram…

Hi @Ram,
Your intention is not clear; Can you please elaborate?

If you want to change the value of a project parameter - you can use the ‘Set value to a parameter’ action (any action with output can change the parameter’s value).

If you want your test to launch another environment with a different URL -

1. You can use the ‘Navigate to URL’ action.
  2. You can change the test’s application.
  3. You can use a data-driven test.

Hi @ran.ferdinaro ,

I am having multiple test cases in which I use Login as a Nested TestCase.
My Login contains the steps like, navigating to an URL, entering the credentials and clicking on submit button.

Here my intention is, now I am having two different environments (URL’s) one is Stage Environment & the other is QA Environment.
I declared my URL in Project Parameters as Stage Environment.

Now lets say, I want to run a particular test script in QA Environment. So is it possible to provide the QA Env URL while running the test script?

Regards,
Ram…

You can use one of the following solutions:

1. You can use the ‘Navigate to URL’ action with a condition to execute based on the environment (you can create an ad-on and declare its value before the test execution).
  2. You can duplicate your test. in the duplicated test, and change the application (create a new application with the different URL).
  3. You can use a data-driven test and declare the URL there.

But the data-driven (By uploading of CSV) can be possible only for Test Parameters right? How can we make it for Project Parameters ?

@Ram

You can create a test parameter to use with the CSV file.
Then, use the ‘Set value to a parameter’ action to move the value to your project parameter.

Hi @ran.ferdinaro ,

Thanks for your way provided. Now I am able to use ‘Set value to a parameter’ and update the Project Parameter.

But if we use ‘Set value to a parameter’ then other teammates will be impacted as the Project parameter will be updated.

Regards,
Ram…

You can create a project parameter for both environments.
Create a test parameter (for the data source).
Create 2 steps with the ‘navigate to URL’ action.
Set conditions for both steps - Execute the one step if the test parameter equals 1 and the other if the test parameter equals 2.